What is Coconut Water?
In contrast to coconut milk, which is produced by pressing the coconut flesh of mature / ripe coconuts, coconut water is the natural liquid inside young green coconuts. These coconuts are harvested several months earlier than the brown “hairy” coconuts, which are normally found in supermarkets across Europe. At this point the coconut has its highest nutritional value and what will later become the hard flesh, is now just a thin layer of a gel-like substance that can easily be scooped with a spoon. The young green coconut can contain up to 800 ml of coconut water and is still relatively unknown in Europe.
For inhabitants of the tropics and many travelers, the consumption of coconut water belongs to daily life similar to that of coffee in Europe. It is traditionally regarded as a healthy drink and even as a remedy for many ailments. For centuries, coconut water has also been applied in ayurvedic medicine. Coconut water has rapidly established itself as a popular drink among health- and trend conscious people in countries where it has only recently become available.
Properties of Coconut Water
Coconut water is a naturally isotonic beverage, rich in many valuable nutrients for the body. It contains more potassium than commercially sold isotonic sports drinks. These properties make it ideal for rehydration and restoring electrolytes and other nutrients after any form of physical exertion. For these reasons, it is a highly popular drink amongst many top athletes around the world.
Coconut water possesses a very refreshing and nutty taste and should best be consumed when chilled. But do not expect it to taste similar to the more widely known brown coconut products!
Unfortunately, coconut water quickly deteriorates in quality once removed from its protective nutshell. Its delicious taste and many valuable nutrients are lost in a short time span. However, modern production techniques today, also developed in cooperation with the United Nations, allow us to protect all that’s good in coconut water.
KULAU Organic Coconut Water
Our products are the result of long and intensive searches for the best suppliers around the globe, not only in terms of our high quality demands, but also to satisfy and meet our high ethical standards. KULAU coconut water is processed and packaged within a short period of time after harvest using the most modern production techniques. All our products are organic and free from all forms additives such as preservatives, flavourings or colourings.
Interesting Facts about Coconut Water
A number of interesting studies have been conducted on coconut water. Below is a brief list of results and sources of these studies:
- Coconut water is naturally isotonic (Source: Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO))
- Coconut water can positively influence cell growth in humans and plants (Source: Bioresel, University of Sao Paolo, 1976)
- Coconut water is used as an alternative to breast milk in a number of tropical countries (Source: Petruianu, 2004 and India Parenting www.indiaparenting.com)
- Coconut water has a consistency so similar to blood that it has successfully been used as an alternative for transfusions e.g. during the world wars and in emergency situations around the world (Source: Campbell – Falck, D., et al. The intravenous use of coconut water. Am J Emerg Med 2000)
- More scientific research results and facts can be found at the Coconut Research Center: http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/)
For those of you who would like to know more about the amazing properties of coconut water, we recommend the book: Coconut Water for Health and Healing by coconut “guru”, Bruce Fife.
From our own investigations we have found out that coconut water is quickly establishing itself as a popular ingredient for many cocktails in trendy bars and clubs around the world.
We can confirm that these cocktails are very tasty!